Random acts of JOY
My Scottish small group is spending the year bringing joy to their city and community. That’s it. Just joy. How simple and how brilliant! My bloggy friend at Bring on the Joy used the phrase “guerilla joy-bringer” yesterday, and that got me thinking. What are some free or inexpensive ways we could randomly spread joy — joy with no obligations — to our communities? So here is my written-late-at-night, random list of random joy.
- Write post-it notes with smiley faces or some other happy thing and randomly place them in books at the library or the bookstore.
- Keeping with the post-it theme, place them on community bulletin boards in stores and offices.
- Stop and compliment mama’s on their babies, pet owners on their pets.
- Deliberately wear mis-matched clothing and walk somewhere that embarrasses you.
- Sing while you run on the treadmill at the club. Better yet, try the new trend of treadmill dancing if you are coordinated.
- Buy lollipops and give them away…to adults.
- Pay for someone’s coffee or lunch in a drive thru.
- Be joyful yourself. Find a way to make yourself feel like dancing!
- Hand out awards in your neighborhood. What kind of awards? Anything! I like your flowers; You have the cleanest car; You always smile when I see you; Best Christmas decorations.
- Create some goofy original art with fun colors and post it somewhere in the community just for fun.